Skip to main content

My Latest Projects

You know I was going to do some flickr presentations of my past dioramas and photostories. I was going to go into an introduction of my girls, their personalities and family relations. But honestly, when you guys do that, I rarely remember who everyone is.

So I'll make this a little more reflective of my current situation. I'm pregnant and maybe in some fit of early nesting or the realization that my 1st child will still be eating small things off the floor while I'm dealing with the 2nd child, or maybe because we hate our house and any bit of packing I can do now will make me feel better, I have packed up all my dolls.

Yes, it hurts. But with those girls sitting around in their little apartments being so cute, I can't help develop intricate story lines which takes forever and before you know it, nap time is over. Not to mention the sound of pulling out an end table from under a pile of other plastic furniture is sure to wake the kid.

Anyway, this is the time for me to focus on props, backdrops, and home decor.

But see, I am too nuts for one project.

My first project is something I'd been thinking about for a while. Taking the Barbie RV I received as a kid (not the exact one, but a the same type to be purchased on ebay) and turning into a gypsy caravan. I've long been fascinated with gypsy culture and to have a vardo of my own to go with the new gypsy storyline (there'll be pics later but basically Hollywood Royalty Josephine Baker falls in love with Mattel's Fox Mulder-who is a repaint done with liquid liner but he's a Roma who never fit in with her glam lifestyle and who must return to his culture and marry a good Roma girl).

So, check out my flickr (at the bottom of the page) for pictures. Well that's the very beginning anyway. I'll post some pics when it's done, but for now I want to keep it closely guarded. Maybe because my husband has informed me that I will be selling it. What? Just give me a bigger doll room!

Okay so I bought a cast iron stove for the caravan but it's just too big. Maybe it would be nice in a rustic, Spanish style home? It got me thinking. What happens when Dynamite Girl Dani and Star Trek's McCoy finally get unpacked from where they rest in boxes? They're still living in a cheap shelf I bought at Walmart. Gypsy Doll doesn't even exist yet, but my favorites are homeless? A travesty. So perhaps a Spanish style home? (Later realized that two art dealers can't live in an overly decorated house. Their style dictates the house, not vice versa. And really the dang stove is still too big. So what I have so far:

















Bear in mind I'm only in the beginning stages, but I'm excited about the future of this home. Soon I'll add crown and base molding, hardwood floors, kitchen and bathroom tiles, etc.

Then I realized Josephine Baker, the only doll that has a proper house, is going to come home to a wildly undecorated house. This one:










This house has had so many incarnations, I'm almost afraid to do something permanent. But after watching Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette again, I'm obsessed with what I call Versailles paneling, as I can't seem to find the actual name for this.

So here's what I'm working on now. I'm pretty proud of it. It's not perfect but to date, it's the project I've given more time and careful measuring to than any other. Soon I'll paint it maybe Robin's Egg blue. Then a "wedding cake ceiling" (quote from Song of the Exile by Kiara Davenport).













I rather like it with this sofa. Shame I painted it red...Maybe I should mess with it again. It's either this or the Jonathan Adler pink sofa. All the pink and blue? Too literal Marie Antoinette?












Some little props to inspire me and the paint I mixed. The true color is on the paint lid. I'll be lightening it a bit more.














Well, I suppose that's all for now. Best of luck with your projects!

smooches,
dani

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zee Gypsies!

I'm home today, the kids are at school (half day), so I decided to take some pictures with my little window of time. I rarely show the gypsies and one of you guys requested it, so here they are! "Hello, I am Carmen Kirpachi. Welcome to our home." "This is my husband Milosh." "Hallo."  "This is my brother, Franco. While his gaje girlfriend Josephine is in Paris, he's spending a lot more time with us." "Excuse me, I have to put some more wood in the stove so I can get dinner started." "My goat stew is Milosh's favorite but we need to get the pot hot first." "This is my living area, also known as Franco's bedroom. But we don't mind. The Romany love having family around." "Milosh says I drive like a fugitive so he doesn't let me drive very often." "But sometimes I put a glamour on him and he forgets how much he hates my driving." "

Grandville Summer Festival!

Hello doll friends, First up, I gotta show you this. My 4 year old was playing with my Barbie cast-offs and set up this little scene. (That yellow thing on the table is a TV shaped eraser.) Dig the lamp she made with a wedding cake and the pole from maybe a Barbie dress form? Adorbs. Anyway, this weather (raining pretty much daily for the last month or so) has wrecked my spray painting plans. Much of the royal storyline rests on this painting project. So for now I decided to continue the other stories I have going. Enjoy: "Ho-ly crap, what on earth are you wearing?" "Aw, Sook, I feel bad enough."   "Seriously. You are wearing khakis. You look cray cray. You're like somebody's mom right now. Please explain this situation." "My boss said my outfit was too sexy so I had to borrow something from Le Skater Dork over there at the cafe. Jeez, now I owe her one. Oh crap Channel 1 News is here."   "Thanks John. Lavita

Introducing Nymeria and the Alurium Vaccarra

Ever have a couple of days off Facebook and though you wonder what happened to your friends over the long weekend, you can help feeling a little peaceful? That's how I feel in my week of staying off the blogs and forums and various sites. But I missed a lot! So many cool posts! It's going to take a while to dig myself out. One must wonder, did my creative spurt have something to do with not being all over the web looking at what everyone else is doing? Anyway let's get to it. So on my birthday, my three Stardolls arrived! Aside from the outfit, that Paris one was not cute. I dunno, she's too boring looking. But Iris was THRILLED that she got a new, dressed doll. Well for a few minutes anyway. Did you know that they can't bend their legs? Like they can't sit down? Terrible. Anyway, the other two were great! Inspiring. Meet Valentina. A Columbiana who restores classic cars. She was very happy with a Liv body. She might be Nadia's next girlfriend, w