Skip to main content

Why be neat when you can be fast?



I'm sloppy. I'm starting to wonder if it's even in my personality to change that. I'm sloppy and clumsy in many aspects of my life, to which the neat freak husband will attest. So my doll creations are sloppy. Sometimes when I see the fine work you all are doing out there, I get down on myself, feel jealous and that I'll never be as good as you guys.

But you know what? That's fine! I'm just going to go ahead and NOT listen to the lady at the dollhouse store talk to me about fancy pants glue and learn the hard way that Elmer's Glue is warping my foam core.

So anyway, you know my doll "apartment building"? This thing:

Well in the interest of space and not totally blocking all the light in this weird, cedar paneled room, I have flipped it vertical and let it sit on the floor. The room looks more open now, but there are a couple of issues:

You can't really photograph the bottom shelf. I mean, I'd have to lay down on the floor and in my advanced fecund state, chances are I would remain on the floor for some time. Another issue are the dirty grabby hands of a certain small person who enjoys Mom's dolls quietly grabbing things and taking off with them. No longer sated by the naked reject Barbies, she's got her eyes fixed on the doll homes. There is only so much "No, those are Mommies" that one can do. Soon there will be two of them and then there will be no escape.

So, I made some big doors out of foam core to over these rooms. Of course I should have called my father, had him cut some wood for me and help me affix hinges. But nooooo, I had to have it immediately. So I cut some window holes out, which of course are crooked, no matter what rule I'm using. And I'll prolly be attaching them with gaffer's tape. Coz I'm classy like that.

I'm getting to my point, I swear. So now I have these square with window holes cut out. I was thinking of using papier mache to make a sort of stucco looking exterior and covering up my crooked windows.

BUT, Elmer's glue warps my foam core! Can you imagine Elmer's and water? Hmm. Welp, by Monday you'll see my half assed version of what I should have done.

I better move fast because my small minion looks entirely too happy that these doll rooms are at her level now.

Part Two:

I realize the best blogs involve some kind of reader participation. Who wants to just read about my doll inferiority complex, even if I do try to make it funny?

So I ask you my fair readers, how do you store/organize your extra doll furniture? You'll see in the picture above, they are wherever I can fit them: above doll homes, in spare doll rooms, in old milk crates, in plastic bins, in those giant ziplocs shoved in closets. But my paint jobs are suffering. Any ideas folks?

In other news, I got my tripod and I'm really excited about it. Now I can see what a photo will look like, step away and fix it and not lose the angle. Life is good. Good and sloppy.

smooches,
dani

Comments

  1. Hi Dani! Since you asked the proverbial question..how do I store my gazillion pieces of furniture & various dolly plunder..I'll tell ya. I installed kitchen cabinets in our laundry room (a.k.a. my STUDIO). I have a corner unit complete with lazy susan; one bank of drawers and two units with double doors/2 drawers above. (make sense?) I also put 3 shelves up on one wall above the cabinets. I think the span is around 7.5 feet. Although I have only found one shelf that long I have cobbled up 2 others just a little shorter. I also purchased those plastic storage drawers that stack to hold all my doll clothes & overflow oversized accessories like art, pillows, rugs, etc. I think I have 8 or so of these stacked just to the right of the cabinets. I also bought storage boxes from Ikea..the paper/cardboard type that normally are used for office supplies or photo storage. I have a row of those lining my countertop to hold additional props. I really should just post a pic for you on my blog...if you are interested in seeing it. I'm not finished with it yet..but I plan on turning the wall shelves into my diorama space. I have the same problem you do with grubby little hands. :) My youngest is 2 and just LOVES my minis! (I have 4 kids) Let me know if you are interested in a pic..I know my description is not the best...
    Stephiejo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephiejo, I'd love to see a photo! I love to see the work/play space of other doll lovers. The kitchen cabinet idea sounds great! Then everything is hidden away so they eye can really focus on the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have plastic tubs with lids. I have my furniture and props sorted by room and as I find or make something for a room, I add it to its box. Unfortunately, the boxes have taken over my diningroom. I hope to remedy that this weekend with the help of my husband and teenage son.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zee Gypsies!

I'm home today, the kids are at school (half day), so I decided to take some pictures with my little window of time. I rarely show the gypsies and one of you guys requested it, so here they are! "Hello, I am Carmen Kirpachi. Welcome to our home." "This is my husband Milosh." "Hallo."  "This is my brother, Franco. While his gaje girlfriend Josephine is in Paris, he's spending a lot more time with us." "Excuse me, I have to put some more wood in the stove so I can get dinner started." "My goat stew is Milosh's favorite but we need to get the pot hot first." "This is my living area, also known as Franco's bedroom. But we don't mind. The Romany love having family around." "Milosh says I drive like a fugitive so he doesn't let me drive very often." "But sometimes I put a glamour on him and he forgets how much he hates my driving." "

Grandville Summer Festival!

Hello doll friends, First up, I gotta show you this. My 4 year old was playing with my Barbie cast-offs and set up this little scene. (That yellow thing on the table is a TV shaped eraser.) Dig the lamp she made with a wedding cake and the pole from maybe a Barbie dress form? Adorbs. Anyway, this weather (raining pretty much daily for the last month or so) has wrecked my spray painting plans. Much of the royal storyline rests on this painting project. So for now I decided to continue the other stories I have going. Enjoy: "Ho-ly crap, what on earth are you wearing?" "Aw, Sook, I feel bad enough."   "Seriously. You are wearing khakis. You look cray cray. You're like somebody's mom right now. Please explain this situation." "My boss said my outfit was too sexy so I had to borrow something from Le Skater Dork over there at the cafe. Jeez, now I owe her one. Oh crap Channel 1 News is here."   "Thanks John. Lavita

Introducing Nymeria and the Alurium Vaccarra

Ever have a couple of days off Facebook and though you wonder what happened to your friends over the long weekend, you can help feeling a little peaceful? That's how I feel in my week of staying off the blogs and forums and various sites. But I missed a lot! So many cool posts! It's going to take a while to dig myself out. One must wonder, did my creative spurt have something to do with not being all over the web looking at what everyone else is doing? Anyway let's get to it. So on my birthday, my three Stardolls arrived! Aside from the outfit, that Paris one was not cute. I dunno, she's too boring looking. But Iris was THRILLED that she got a new, dressed doll. Well for a few minutes anyway. Did you know that they can't bend their legs? Like they can't sit down? Terrible. Anyway, the other two were great! Inspiring. Meet Valentina. A Columbiana who restores classic cars. She was very happy with a Liv body. She might be Nadia's next girlfriend, w