Skip to main content

The Project: Fancy Book Learnin'

Hi Folks,

Ya know people are always encouraging me to go to back to school. I say "back" but my collegiate life boiled down to three weeks in fashion college, after which I decided that college is not for me.

So 10 years later, I'm basically still doing the same job. Which is FINE by me. I have dolls and tiny kids, I don't have time for my career to be my life.

When you're creative and you work as an office monkey people can't help but tell you to go to school. But why? To take something like Graphic Design and then to start all over in a new industry at 40ish? To take something boring like Business? To take something perfect like English and be sad I don't live in a town with publishing houses?

So what would my idea college situation look like? Online classes, super flexible, a major that I truly love but won't throw me into a cut throat competitive field, something that appeals to my crafty nature and makes me more excited about the learning than all the mula I'll be making after graduation. Oh and cheap, possibly free.

It would be a dolly university. It would cover interior decorating, architecture, fashion design and sewing, woodworking, I dunno, sculpture. You know what I'm talking about. Even stuff like how to post things on ebay.

So my friends, I have created:


My qualifications? Well I was a preschool teacher and I'm certified to teach ESL. Hurray, I'm a college professor!

So after I got this idea, I collected tutorials from everywhere, printed out the challenging ones and put them in a 3 ring binder. Ta da! Text book! I designed the curriculum, which covers all areas of the doll world, including things I don't want to learn like e-commerce and fashion doll history.

I could just learn like everyone else, but the Figurevore challenges really taught me something. I love doll assignments. The deadlines gave me a push to actually DO something. How long have I been talking about rerooting and repainting? Forever! With the kids, it's so hard to do much more than set up a scene and take some quick pictures.

AND I love the easy way out. I just "figure it out" instead of doing all the research, then doing the job right. I use what happens to be around instead of the best tool. Case in point, this table painted with nail polish. Seriously:

So anyway, I will present to you each assignment, my deadline and my results. No embarrassment, no inhibitions. Just like I'm in school. And I'm opening it up for you to give me assignments too. My husband came up with one that will be good for the E-commerce section: Remove a doll from her packaging without destroying the box. Way easy for Fashion Royalty but do you see the fortress they put Barbie in?


I even have a major: Doll Home Customization. So a lot of time will be spent getting actual books (as opposed to web sites) on architecture and design.

I'll share my curriculum and assignments with the next post. I welcome all input!

 smooches,
dani

Comments

  1. That sounds interesting, and like a great project for you! And I know what you mean about people telling you that...Ditto. Of course, I went back and did it (for other reasons) but a degree in art still doesn't do much if you're not a schmoozer. :P

    Only thing I'll say about your projects & tutorials---make sure that you give credit and back links to the websites & people you get/got/will get the information from. :)

    So when do classes start???????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I'll give credit! Without my "teachers" I'd still be painting tables stuff with nail polish. Though I know why you say that. The internet makes it so easy to rip people off.

    I'm thinking I'll get started in mid-late May. I post the curriculum and assignments in the next few days, then I have to wait for my finances to recover from being out of work for 3 months AND I have to get some basic tools for Section 1, whatever that may be. So I think mid May is a good estimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see your projects Dani! I LOVE that photo of Alana(TJ). Love the books and bookcase in the background...you've got a lot of great props!

    Good luck, I know you'll do an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grandville Summer Festival!

Hello doll friends, First up, I gotta show you this. My 4 year old was playing with my Barbie cast-offs and set up this little scene. (That yellow thing on the table is a TV shaped eraser.) Dig the lamp she made with a wedding cake and the pole from maybe a Barbie dress form? Adorbs. Anyway, this weather (raining pretty much daily for the last month or so) has wrecked my spray painting plans. Much of the royal storyline rests on this painting project. So for now I decided to continue the other stories I have going. Enjoy: "Ho-ly crap, what on earth are you wearing?" "Aw, Sook, I feel bad enough."   "Seriously. You are wearing khakis. You look cray cray. You're like somebody's mom right now. Please explain this situation." "My boss said my outfit was too sexy so I had to borrow something from Le Skater Dork over there at the cafe. Jeez, now I owe her one. Oh crap Channel 1 News is here."   "Thanks John. Lavita

Zee Gypsies!

I'm home today, the kids are at school (half day), so I decided to take some pictures with my little window of time. I rarely show the gypsies and one of you guys requested it, so here they are! "Hello, I am Carmen Kirpachi. Welcome to our home." "This is my husband Milosh." "Hallo."  "This is my brother, Franco. While his gaje girlfriend Josephine is in Paris, he's spending a lot more time with us." "Excuse me, I have to put some more wood in the stove so I can get dinner started." "My goat stew is Milosh's favorite but we need to get the pot hot first." "This is my living area, also known as Franco's bedroom. But we don't mind. The Romany love having family around." "Milosh says I drive like a fugitive so he doesn't let me drive very often." "But sometimes I put a glamour on him and he forgets how much he hates my driving." "

Introducing Nymeria and the Alurium Vaccarra

Ever have a couple of days off Facebook and though you wonder what happened to your friends over the long weekend, you can help feeling a little peaceful? That's how I feel in my week of staying off the blogs and forums and various sites. But I missed a lot! So many cool posts! It's going to take a while to dig myself out. One must wonder, did my creative spurt have something to do with not being all over the web looking at what everyone else is doing? Anyway let's get to it. So on my birthday, my three Stardolls arrived! Aside from the outfit, that Paris one was not cute. I dunno, she's too boring looking. But Iris was THRILLED that she got a new, dressed doll. Well for a few minutes anyway. Did you know that they can't bend their legs? Like they can't sit down? Terrible. Anyway, the other two were great! Inspiring. Meet Valentina. A Columbiana who restores classic cars. She was very happy with a Liv body. She might be Nadia's next girlfriend, w